History of Marauder Composite Squadron
Civil Air Patrol’s Marauder Composite Squadron has proudly served the Lake Houston community for 30 years.
The squadron, whose official designation is TX409, when several CAP members from the Montgomery County Squadron decided to form their own squadron. The first meetings were held at Kingwood High School in 1986. To begin the charter process, they became "G Flight" and were assisted by the Jersey Village Composite Squadron. In June 1987, they moved their meetings to Kingwood United Methodist Church.
The unit was initialized on 15 December 1986, and its first squadron commander was 1st Lt Jay Yeager. During this time, G Flight participated in many CAP activities including:
- encampments at Camp Strake and Lackland Air Force Base,
- cadet orientation flights from Hooks, West Houston and Lakeside Airports,
- communication and emergency services training at Ellington Field and other locations, and
- actual search missions for missing aircraft throughout Texas
In December 1987, the Civil Air Patrol granted the charter, and Marauder Composite Squadron was born. In the first year cadets joined primarily from Aldine, Humble, Kingwood and New Caney high schools.
In September 1988, the squadron moved to a new meeting place, in a building at Williams Airport, between Porter and Conroe.
Marauder Composite Squadron was the search group that located a downed Army Helicopter that crashed in December 1990 a heavily wooded area south of Cleveland in north Liberty County.
Three Army soldiers died in the crash, which was spread out over a 50-square-yard area.
In May 1991, the squadron participated in "Freedom Isn't Free" parade and rally in downtown Houston.
The squadron received a Unit Citation from the Texas Wing for assistance that was rendered to the community during the "Flood of 94." The City of Humble also made a Proclamation October 18, 1995 as Civil Air Patrol Day to honor the Marauder Squadron, along with Captain Ron Diderich and Major Everett Yeager, for their assistance during the flood.
The City of Humble declared the week of December 1st through December 7th, 1996 as "Civil Air Patrol Week."
The Squadron participated in Humble Good Oil Days Festival throughout the 1990s.
The squadron also participate din the Humble Rodeo Parade in 1997.
Marauder Composite Squadron celebrated its 10th Anniversary with a banquet at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in April 1998.
Commanders of the Marauder Composite Squadron:
- Captain Jay Yeager
- Captain Dave Kagey
- 1st Lt Robert J. Robertson
- Captain David E. Falk
- Major Jay Yeager
- Captain Darrel Elkins
- Major Linda Yeager
- Captain Quill G. "Buddy" Blackburn, Jr. (August ,1995 - May, 1999)
- Lt. Don Boley (May, 1999 - )
- Lt. Millie Ramos-Pena Robert Bernazal ( - October, 2003)
- Major James "Al" Bryant (October, 2003 - February, 2010)
- Captain Mark Cambio(February, 2010 - September, 2015)
- Major Robert Meaux (September, 2015 - November, 2017)
- Captain Bruce Stone (November, 2017 - present)